|MAYOR FOR VICE MARGE COCHRANE|
PREPARING TO MAKE HER LONG
AWAITED ENTERTAINMENT PRECINCT
It's a wonder the attending press didn't break out in hysterical laughter, such is the nature of her proposal. And her group of hopeful nodders all stood by incredulous at their leader's pronouncements - the last time she spoke on this subject, she wanted to do NOTHING for two years! And before that, she voted "aye" on the council-approved plan for the waterfront site! Marge Cochrane has been on every side of this issue, all in the space of a year. How could anyone consider someone like this for Mayor???
1. Cochrane sites the project on what the CityPort Masterplan refers to as "Strategic Port Land Precincts 2, 2A, and 2B". That's right, Margie wants THREE pieces of Ports North land. Land they need for other uses.
2. She promises TWO theatres and all the associated dressing rooms, rehearsal spaces, etc. PLUS 300 space underground parking for $100 million dollars, all in.
3. She has NO commitment from Cairns Ports for this land. Therefore, we have no idea what the land will cost. It won't be free.
4. The Ports North office building, and employee parking, currently on this site, will need to be relocated. Ports North has to work somewhere. Cost to move to another site? Let's say $25 million. No answers from Margie as to where they might go. How about Maroulyan?
5. The Convention Centre still does not have an adjacent, convention-style hotel. Long promised to the Convention Centre, and the logical and likely use of Precints 2, 2A, and 2B. The Cochrane/Community Alliance plan would cripple the Convention Centre into the future, and cost the region jobs and growth.
6. And Margie's final absurdity - SHE SAYS THE STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS ARE GOING TO GIVE US THE THEATRE FOR FREE!
That's right, in the state of Queensland, LNP confirmed "fiscal crisis" with our debt rating collapsed, and Mother Julia's obsession with returning the federal budget into surplus, Marge Cochrane is such a skilled and persuasive negotiator that she's promising Cairns that we're going to get a FREE THEATRE! We're waiting to hear how MP Gavin "Don't Rape Me" King is planning to get his LNP mates to spring for $150 million. Oddly, no cheaper than the plan on the waterfront that was voted for by Margie. So exactly how are we saving money?
Margie, you've got to stop smoking the wacky weed!