New international flights are continually announced for Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Perth and all of these new flights OVERFLY Cairns on their way. Forcing these passengers into domestic flights to visit Cairns.
Is it any wonder Qantas and Virgin profits are up?
Qantas has quietly announced another change that will make international tourists jump through MORE hoops in order to visit Cairns - hoops that very well will mean they miss flights altogether.
Like their low-cost offering Jetstar, Qantas will no longer "interline" baggage between Qantas flights from Cairns to the other international hubs. For the bulk of our visitors, transiting Sydney, this means they now:
- Check luggage in Cairns ONLY to Sydney
- WAIT and collect these bags at the Sydney domestic terminal
- Wrestle these international bags (jammed with boomerangs, liquor, and baby formula) into the inadequate and overcrowded inter-terminal bus to get to the Sydney International Terminal
- Pay $5 for this bus service
- Wait in ANOTHER QUEUE to check-in their international bags
- Wait in ANOTHER QUEUE to go through hand luggage screening
- Miss their connecting flight
- Check their bags in Cairns to their final destination
- Take the inter-terminal "prescreened passenger" shuttle
- Load up on more designer crap at the Sydney Airport
The Australian airline industry was "deregulated" with no accompanying rules on their operation. ALL the Australian airlines routinely ignore complaints about their operations. The consumer organisation CHOICE notes that currently 1 in 4 passengers have had problems with delayed or cancelled flights.
With most getting NO assistance from the airlines - because there are NO RULES. Deregulation in Europe, the USA, Japan, and other countries came with government regulations on their performance.
WE HAVE NONE.
Choice has launched a new website for the lodging of consumer complaints. We have learned that Choice has attempted to place advertising for the service in the Cairns Airport terminals by purchasing advertising space. The airport has refused - any guess why?